About Me

My photo
My thoughts as I journey toward becoming an ELearning Professional....if there is such a thing? This started as a blog while I studied the Open University module "The Elearning Professional". It has now turned into a collection of my ponderings on all things learning

13/10/2011

Elearning Professional...I'm getting there

Spag bol is my speciality dish (I use the word “speciality” loosely). When friends come around for dinner or I want to make something that I don’t have to think about, spag bol is the dish of choice. I don’t have to measure out ingredients or follow a recipe book, in fact I could probably make it standing on my head. I would also be confident to change the recipe to suit people’s taste, for example if someone was vegetarian or another didn’t like mushrooms, it wouldn’t throw me into a blind panic.
By thinking about my objectives for studying this module and assessing my skills as an elearning professional, I’ve discovered that being an elearning professional is a bit like having a speciality dish. There is a basic recipe for being a learning professional, which can then be tailored to become an elearning professional
In my previous blog  I highlighted that my strengths were those things that I was “unconsciously competent” in, and as I look at my PDP grid, I can see that these will also my strengths in the elearning world as they are key skills to have in any learning environment. For example, my ability to use examples throughout, answer questions helpfully and summarise key content should remain constant and consistent whatever the method of delivery. Another strength is my ability to communicate online/audio without having ever met the person. I don’t see this as a barrier for me and is something I would encounter on a frequent basis.
My weaknesses are not so much my technical ability (as I know I am quick at picking things up) but more my technical knowledge. I would class myself as a complete novice not only in my understanding but also my awareness  as to whether certain technology would be applicable for me or not. I suppose the starting point is researching what they are and then assessing its relevance. What I’m specifically referring to are the suggested technical competences e.g.  Text-based communication systems, online community and the understanding of technical copyright issues. At the moment, facing these would cause me to react in the same way as if someone turned up for dinner and said they didn’t like spag bol!
I would struggle to say I have “learned” anything new about my strengths and weaknesses as a result of this activity, but more so it has reinforced for me what I already knew and has allowed me to put it down on paper, or should I say epaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment